- Traverse the island while marveling at world tallest and most massive volcanoes
- Visit an ancient lava cave and stunning Rainbow Falls
- Witness the awesome lava flow up close during sunset on a new boat depart from Hilo
- Enjoy Dinner at a popular local restaurant with a Hawaiian twist
- Observe stars and planets under the pristine night sky near Saddle Road through a telescope
Travel from Kona or Waikoloa to catch Kilauea’s explosive eruption from front row onboard the newest and safest vessel in Hawaii, The Ohana, powered by 800 HP engines. This once in a life time experience is the best way to see lava flow up close.
Enjoy a fully narrated adventure that starts with traversing of the island via the scenic Saddle Road. You get to marvel at the world’s tallest sea mountain, Mauna Kea, and world’s most massive mountain, Mauna Loa. Your professional local tour guide will impart in-depth knowledge about geology and history of the various lava flow, flora and fauna as you pass the area.
After visit the ancient Kaumana Cave, a spectacular lava tube created by past lava flow in Hilo, you will head over to the famous 80 foot tall Rainbow Falls, well known for its rainbow effect created by the water mist.
Your lava boat adventure begins in late afternoon after check-in at Hilo Bay harbor. This 3.5 hour experience will take you to explore the Hilo coastline and Puna before arrive at the current ocean entry of the lava flow. You will spend around 30 minutes to witness the glowing lava flowing into the ocean as the newest land on earth are being created in front of your eyes!
After the lava boat experience, relax and enjoy dinner at Ken’s House of Pancakes, a famous local restaurant known for dishes with a Hawaiian twist. On the way back to your resort, our guide will take you to a secluded and ideal location for stargazing through a portable but powerful Celestron telescope, depending on weather condition and current night sky. You will observe stars, planets, galaxies, moon, and much more while our guide share interesting legend and lore of the sky.
Pick up location and time:
We pick up from all resorts and hotels in Keauhou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 12 pm to 1 pm. Actual pick up time vary depending on location and sunset time. Tour duration is around 10-11 hours.
What to Bring and Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing and bring extra to change as you may get wet on the lava boat tour. In addition, covered walking shoes, light jacket, and towel are recommended. We provide rain jackets for our guests.
Land Tours is limited to 12 guests per vehicle, boat tours is limited to 39 guests.
Included in the Tour:
Roundtrip transportation from Kona and Kohala area resorts, lava boat tour admission, Sit-down dinner, rain jackets, snacks, and beverages.
Minimum forty-eight (48) hour cancellation for a full refund. Cancellation within 48 hours is a partial refund. For safety reasons, boat tours will be cancelled if conditions prove threatening. We will try to contact you 24 hours before your tour time to inform you of a possible cancellation.
If you have sea sickness, we recommend taking Dramamine the evening before, and morning of your tour for better results. Please contact your physician if you are unsure of Dramamine usage.
Boat Tour Restrictions
- NO pregnancies
- NO recent neck, back, hip, knee injuries (or any injuries that could be aggravated while on tour)
- NO respiratory, heart problems, major illnesses
- Youngest age to participate is 10 years old, older guests to 65 please use your own discretion.
- If you get sea sick (motion sickness) please use Dramamine, or any other type of motion sickness medication (used at your own discretion).
- You will be on open water, and will most likely get wet while on tour.
- Once the boat has departed, the captains will not turn the tour around if you are feeling sick / nauseous.
- Vessel is not handicapped accessible.
Disclaimer: Red molten lava and volcanic activity changes constantly and cannot be guaranteed. refunds will not be given for closures and itinerary changes outside of our control. Tour runs rain or shine.